Spring 2014 (Section #3529)
Online Course Information Page
This course is an examination of the origin, development, and organization of the juvenile justice system as it evolved in the American justice system. The course explores the theories that focus on juvenile delinquency and law, courts and processes, and the constitutional protections extended to juveniles administered in the American justice system.
It is advised that a student enrolled in this class be capable of reading and writing at the 10th grade level or higher. This course is delivered entirely online and written assignments are a requirement of this course. Therefore, it is imperative students enrolled in this course are able to follow written instructions and be capable of expressing themselves through their writings. Students must also have access to reliable internet service, be proficient in the use of the internet and web browsing, and communicating via email.
The course content will progress on a weekly basis (approximately) through the following topics:
- Overview of the Juvenile Justice System in the United States
- History of Juvenile Justice and Origins of the Juvenile Court
- Theories of Delinquency and Intervention Programs
- Legal Rights of Juveniles
- Juveniles and the Police
- Intake and Preadjudicatory Processing
- Prosecutorial Decision Making
- Classification and Preliminary Treatment: Wavers and other Alternatives
- The Adjudicatory Process: Dispositional Alternatives
- Nominal Sanctions: Warnings, Diversion, and Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Juvenile Probation and Community-Based Corrections
- Juvenile Corrections: Custodial Sanctions and Aftercare
Required text: The Juvenile Justice System. Delinquency, Processing and the Law, 7th Ed.; Champion, Merlo and Benekos, 2013, Pearson/Prentice Hall. ISBN-10: 0133009475 • ISBN-13: 9780133009477
If you have any questions you can email the instructor, Michele Korkowski at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click on the following links to find out how to access the online classroom.
Etudes Gateway- once you know your userid and password
BACK TO TOP