Whether you are enrolled in Geology of Lassen National Park or would like to consider the course for the future, the links below give you access to the course text and some supplemental online materials.
- Overview of the Geology of Lassen Volcanic National Park: Course text that includes background information and the field trip road log. Because this document is a PDF file you will need to install a free copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader to view it if you do not already have one on your computer. Note that this document is usually only linked when the class is in session.
- Quaternary Magmatism in the Cascades—Geologic Perspectives: US Geological Survey publication that gives a detailed overview of the nature and origin of volcanic activity in the High Cascades.
- California Volcano Observatory—Lassen Volcanic Center: Brief summary of the geology and geologic history of the Lassen Volcanic Center along with information about its current alert level. U.S. Geological Survey
- Eruptions of Lassen Peak: Brief overview of the volcanic history, potential hazards and geologic monitoring of the Lassen Volcanic Center. This website also includes links to "fact sheets" on topics ranging from Lassen Peak's most recent eruption to the nature of the hydrothermal (hot water) system in the park. Because the fact sheets are PDF files you will need to install a free copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader to view them if you do not already have one on your computer. [U.S. Geological Survey, National Park Service].
- Lassen Volcanic National Park: This site gives information on the weather, road and trail conditions, and camping opportunities in the park that will be useful for planning a visit, as well as links to information about the park's natural history under its "Virtual Visitor Center" section [National Park Service].
- Exploring Lassen Volcanic National Park: This general interest site includes pages on the geologic and volcanic history of the park as well as Lassen Peak's most recent eruptions and the continuing hydrothermal activity in the park [Shasta Marketing Company].
- May 19, 1915 Eruption of Lassen Peak: Detailed analysis of of the events accompanying the blast that created the Devastated Area on the night of May 19, 1915 [D. Eppler and M. Malin].
- Spattercone Trail Guide: Brief guide to the geologic and other natural features along the Spattercone Trail in the young Hat Creek Basalt just north of Lassen National Park [Lassen National Forest, Google Docs].
- Subway Cave Lava Tube: Brief fact sheet on the origin and character of Subway Cave, one of the largest and most accessible of the lava tubes developed in the Hat Creek Basalt just north of Lassen National Park [Lassen National Forest, Google Docs].