Students must get instructor and coordinator approval before registering for a Work Experience Course. Contact the Work Experience Coordinator at: firstname.lastname@example.org, (530) 938-5512(530) 938-5512.
Cooperative Work Experience Education (CWEE) is an educational process that combines on-the-job training with regular college instruction. It is an integral part of the community college curriculum. Cooperative Work Experience Education depends on employers’ and educators' working together to structure a complete educational program for the students. This unique program was designed to assist students in developing skills and knowledge and improve self-understanding by integrating study with planned, supervised work experience. College of the Siskiyous has general and occupational work experience courses.
CWEE is based on the principle that well-educated individuals effectively develop through an educational process that incorporates work experience. Structured work experiences in business, industry, government, and human services provide an enrichment to the student’s college studies which enhances their total development.
Want to enroll in Work Experience but do not have a job?
College of the Siskiyous and various employers in Siskiyou County have a variety of work experience positions and internship opportunities available each semester. Contact the Work Experience Coordinator at: email@example.com or (530) 938-5512(530) 938-5512 for more information.
Benefits of Cooperative Work Experience Education
Cooperative Work Experience Education provides benefits and advantages for students, employers, business, industry, and the community.
- Has an opportunity to learn employment skills through on-the-job training
- Has an opportunity to use his/her skills and abilities in the work environment
- Gains a perspective on career goals through application of classroom theory to "real-life experiences"
- Builds self-identity and confidence as a worker through individual attention given by instructors, coordinators, and employers
- Has an opportunity to gain insight and a realistic perspective of the job market
- Will acquire a better understanding of human relations
- Has the opportunity to learn and apply Management by Objectives (MBO)
- Will be able to use work experience jobs and education on future resumes and job applications
- May be able to begin his or her career earlier
- Assumes an active educational role in the student's learning process and the community college
- Is provided the opportunity to communicate business and industry requirements to the college
- Experiences lower recruiting costs because trained CWEE students are able to begin permanent positions
- May have more motivated and enthusiastic student employees because their work is evaluated and translated into college credits
- May experience less employee turnover since adjustments can be made during the CWEE activity
Benefits to College of the Siskiyous:
- An opportunity to develop a more active involvement with Siskiyou County and surrounding communities
- Enhances instruction by refining student skills and knowledge for business and industry through business and employment partnerships
- Receives valuable and current input from business and industry regarding labor market conditions that provides course content information and placement opportunities
- Improves intra-college communication relating to industry’s needs, subject matter, instructors, guidance personnel, and CWEE instructor/coordinators and managers
- Uses business and industry facilities and equipment to extend educational opportunities
- Uses skills and knowledge of individuals in business and industry to augment the student’s training
- Experiences lower attrition because students can relate their education to real-world job requirements
- CWEE is a cost-effective program which often results in students attaining full-time enrollment status
- CWEE is an effective resource that assists the student to become a more productive student and employee
- Our local economy benefits from having a greater number of educated, skilled, and knowledgeable workers
- Closer cooperation and understanding can be achieved and maintained between the community and the college
- A stable work force develops because students are more likely to remain in the home community after graduation
- A process for direct input toward the content of college programs and course content is established
Work Experience Units and Hours:
Phone: (530) 938-5512(530) 938-5512
BACK TO TOP