A grant is gift aid that does not have to be repaid as long as eligibility is maintained. Whenever criteria and funding levels permit, a student's financial aid award includes grants.

Federal Pell Grants are federally funded awards. All financial aid applicants are required to apply for a Pell Grant each year by completing the FAFSA. Recipients must maintain good academic standing and make satisfactory academic progress. Eligibility for a Pell Grant is determined by the federal government according to a formula developed by the Department of Education and approved annually by Congress. All applicants are notified via a document, the "Student Aid Report" (SAR). Grants range from $593 to $5920, depending on unit enrollment, expected family contribution (EFC), and cost of attendance at College of the Siskiyous.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG) are federally funded awards designed to supplement other sources of financial aid for students who qualify for additional assistance. All applicants are automatically considered for this award.
(*COS annual maximum is $400.)

Grants: Cal Grants A, B, C

Cal Grants are awarded by the California Student Aid Commission and may be renewed each year. All students who are California residents are encouraged to apply

Cal Grant A helps low- and middle income students with tuition/fee costs. Grant recipients are selected on the basis of financial need and grade point average.

If you qualify for a Cal Grant A and want to attend College of the Siskiyous, the Student Aid Commission will hold your award until the transfer to a four-year college, provided that you continue to qualify.

To be eligible for a new (first time) Cal Grant A, a student may not have completed more than six semesters or nine quarters of college study, and must enroll at least half time.

Cal Grant B awards are based on financial need and are made to entering students, primarily from low-income backgrounds. About half of all new Cal Grant B recipients are expected to begin their college education in a public community college. Therefore, the Cal Grant B award for freshmen is usually limited to the non tuition costs of attending college--help with living expenses, books and supplies, transportation, etc. When renewed by sophomores, juniors, and seniors, a Cal Grant B may also cover all or part of tuition/fee costs.

Cal Grant C awards help vocational students with tuition/fee and training costs. Recipients must be enrolled in a vocational program at a community college, an independent college, or a vocational school, and must be in a program of study from four months to two years in length. Contact your high-school counselor or the College of the Siskiyous Financial Aid Office for more information about vocational areas that qualify.

The Full-time Student Success Grant (FTSSG) is a grant that is given to eligible Cal Grant B and Cal Grant C students who are enrolled full-time (12 or more units). Students can receive $300 during the fall and $300 during the spring if eligible.

The purpose of this new grant is to support student persistence, retention, and success for Cal Grant B and Cal Grant C students.


The California CHAFEE Grant is free money for current or former California foster youth to assist with college costs for career or technical training. The grant can be used to pay for child care, rent and transportationwhile your're attending school. CHAFEE is a federal and state funded grant subject to yearly availability of funds. To qualify, you must:

  1. be a current or former foster youth
  2. not have reached your 22nd birthday as of July 1st of the award year

To apply you must submit the California CHAFEE Grant Application, Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or California Dream Act Application (CADA) and your school submits the CHAFEE Needs Anaylsis Report (NAR). After you apply the commission will review your FAFSA or CADA and CHAFEE Grant Application. The California Department of Social Services may verify your foster status. We will determine your financial aid eligibility. Once this is finished the commission will send you a letter if you are selected for an award. We will then verify payment eligibility and disburse the check to you. You must be enrolled in an eligible school, enrolled in at least half time, enroll in the program at least one academic year, attend class regularly and maintain your SAP.

California Dream Act

The California Dream Act allows undocumented and non-resident documented students who meet certain provisions to apply for the Board of Governors Fee Waiver and Cal Grants. To apply complete the California Dream Act Application.

Board of governors waivers (BOGW)

The Board of Governors Fee Waiver (BOGW) program is a state-sponsored program which waives the enrollment fees (currently $46 per unit) for qualifying students. Students qualify for the fee waiver if they meet the following criteria:

  • Method A: The student or student's family is receiving TANF/AFDC, SSI or General Assistance. You are required to provided current proof of benefits when submitting your BOGW application to the Financial Aid Office.
  • Method B: The student meets the BOGW B income standards based on the 2015 poverty guideline thresholds. See attached income Standards for 17-18.
Board of Governors Fee Waiver Program
2017-2018 Income Standards
Family Size Base Year Income
1 $17,820
2 $24,030
3 $30,240
4 $36,450
5 $42,660
6 $48,870
7 $55,095
8 $61,335
Each Addtional Family Member $6,240
  • Method C: The student has completed the FAFSA or Dream Application and received a current Student Aid Report (SAR), which documents eligibility. Even if the student is not eligible for federal financial aid, the student may still qualify for a fee waiver. Students must have at least $1,104 of unmet need.
  • Dependent of a deceased or disable Veteran and does not exceed income levels required. This fee waiver is available through the local Veteran's Affairs Office.
    • Office Hours: 8:00 am - 12:00 pm, Monday - Thursday
      Location: 105 East Oberlin Rd, Yreka, CA 96097
      Phone: (530) 842-8010
  • You are eligible as a recipient of the Congressional Medal of Honor as a child of a recipient, or a dependent of a victim of the September 11, 2011 terrorist attack.
  • You are eligible as a dependent of a deceased law enforcement/fire suppression personnel killed in the line of duty.

BOGW - Board of Governors fee Waiver (2017-2018) Espanol (2017-2018)

Beginning with the 2015-2016 school year, students must now maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress in order to remain eligible for the BOGW.

Once you have qualified for a BOGW, your enrollment fees will be paid for the rest of the school year, including summer.

Contact Financial Aid

Phone: (530) 938-5209
Fax: (530) 938-5367