Financial Aid Process
Steps to Applying for Financial Aid
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). All students requesting financial aid must file a FAFSA. Follow the instructions to create a FSA ID (Federal Student Aid ID), this is replacing the FAFSA PIN. College of the Siskiyou’s Title IV school code is: 001187.
- Your application is submitted to the Central Processing Service (CPS) for processing.
- The CPS processes the application and COS receives an Institutional Student Information Record (ISIR). The copy documents the student's/family's resources and financial need.
The CPS makes a determination of Federal Pell Grant eligibility and notifies the student directly. If the student applies for a Cal Grant, the CPS submits documentation to the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC); the Commission will then determine if the student is eligible for a Cal Grant and so informs the student and COS.
- Once COS has received the document from the CPS, the Financial Aid Office evaluates the information and requests all necessary supporting documents from the student (tax transcript, etc.).
Once the student's financial aid file is complete, the file is given a completion date and is entered into the processing cycle.
- The completed file is prepared for packaging. Packaging is the process whereby the student is considered for all grants and employment programs for which he/she is eligible. In order to meet the student's total financial need, a variety of programs are used (for example, Federal Pell, FSEOG, and Federal Work Study).
- Once packaged or any changes made to a student’s awards, an email is sent to the student directing them to their Navigator account. By clicking on the Financial Aid Awards link, choosing the 2015-2016 Aid Year, the student’s award information is located under the “Award Overview” tab.
- The student receives his/her grant payment on the next regular or supplemental grant disbursement date or the financial aid is applied to fees owed in your student account.
Need help? Contact Enrollment Services
Phone: (530) 938-5209(530) 938-5209
Fax: (530) 938-5367
BACK TO TOP