Financial Aid Process
Steps to Applying for Financial Aid
Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). All students requesting financial aid must file a FAFSA. Follow the instructions to create a FSA ID (Federal Student Aid ID), which will allow you to provide your legal signature when signing your FAFSA. College of the Siskiyous' Title IV school code is: 001187.
- Your application is submitted to the Central Processing Service (CPS) for processing.
- The CPS processes the application and COS receives an Institutional Student Information Record (ISIR). The electronic record documents the student/family resources and financial need which creates the Expected Family Contribution (EFC).
- The CPS makes a determination of Federal Pell Grant eligibility and notifies the student directly. If the student is eligible for a Cal Grant, the CPS submits documentation to the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC); the Commission will then determine if the student is eligible for a Cal Grant and informs the student and COS.
- After the COS Financial Aid Office receives the student's FAFSA record electronically from CPS, any additional documentation from the student/parent are posted to the student's Financial Aid Requirements located in the mySiskiyous portal. You will need to log into the portal in order to view your financial aid information.
- The Department of Education randomly selects students for verification of the information entered on the FAFSA. If selected, the student will receive notification from Inceptia, our third party Federal Verification processor and will have a verification link on the Requirement list located in the mySiskiyou portal. Students and parents will create an account and will access their Task list with instructions on how to upload required documentation. The Financial Aid Office is happy to assist with the verification process.
- Once the student's financial aid file is complete it is entered into the processing cycle.
- The completed file is prepared for packaging. Packaging is the process whereby the student is considered for all grants for which he/she is eligible. In order to meet the student's total financial need, a variety of programs are used, for example, Federal Pell, FSEOG, State grants and Federal Direct Loans.
- Students need to select a refund preference to receive their funds using BankMobile. Students can select Electronic Deposit into their existing personal checking/savings account or the BankMobile Vibe account.
- Once packaged or if any changes are made to a student's awards, an email is sent to the student directing them to their mySiskiyous account to view their award letter.
- The student receives his/her grant payment on the next regular or supplemental grant disbursement date or the financial aid is applied to fees owed in the student's account.
Contact Financial Aid
Phone: (530) 938-5209
Fax: (530) 938-5367