College of the Siskiyous

Federal Work Study

Federal Work Study Grants

Federal Work Study (FWS) is a federally funded program that gives students the opportunity to earn part or all of their financial need by working on campus. Jobs are available as clerks, grounds maintenance persons, custodians, lab assistants, tutors and others. The salary received is at least minimum wage or higher depending on skills required. Students are able to work up to 20 hours per week while classes are in session and 28 hours per week during vacation periods.

To encourage ALL students to seek student employment at College of the Siskiyous, students will not be awarded Federal Work Study at the time of packaging awards. Once a student receives their award letter, they will need to contact the FWS coordinator in Financial Aid to determine eligibility. Once a student has been determined as eligible, he/she will be given a Federal Work Study Student Worker Application and awarded FWS funds. The student will take the completed application packet along with their resume to Human Resources for a Hiring Packet. Once the process is complete for Human Resources, the student can begin working.

Federal Work Study students may begin working July 1 if they are enrolled for fall classes.

Student Worker Jobs

Intent to Hire - Supervisors only

Federal Work Study Disbursement Schedule

Federal Work Study funds are earned through employment. A time sheet is submitted to the supervisor by the 1st of the month and students are paid on the 10th of the month.

Work Study Documentation Requirements

The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 requires that all student employees hired by the college district after November 7, 1986, be able to verify both identity and employment eligibility. In order to verify their identity and employment eligibility, students need to present one document from list "A", or one document from list "B" and one document from list "C."

List "A"

  1. U.S. Passport
  2. Certificate of U.S. Citizenship
  3. Certificate of Naturalization
  4. Unexpired foreign passport with attached employment authorization
  5. Alien Registration Card (green card) with photograph

List "B"

  1. Driver's License or State ID Card
  2. U.S. Military ID Card

List "C"

  1. Social Security Card (original)
  2. Birth Certificate (original)
  3. Unexpired USCIS Employment Authorization

Federal Work Study Employment Conditions

  • All students should read and understand the eligibility requirements for all forms of student employment.
  • All student employees are advised that they must satisfactorily perform their assigned work according to their job descriptions and under the direction of their work supervisor.
  • Student employees must agree to notify work supervisors in advance if they are unable to report for work at their scheduled work hours.
  • Supervisors are responsible for turning in time sheets on the scheduled dates and for verifying hours worked with the student.
  • Average weekly work hours are not to exceed 20 hours during the semester or 28 during vacation periods.
  • Students should not exceed those limits and cannot earn more than the amount authorized.

Contact Financial Aid

Phone: (530) 938-5209
Fax: (530) 938-5367