Welcome to the Library Micro-Courses
The Library Micro-Courses are very brief online workshops designed to help you learn about the Library and research topics in bite-sized amounts and at your own pace.
Why take a Library Micro-Course?
- Earn extra credit! Library Micro-Courses count as EdTALKS, so they are eligible for extra credit for some classes and as 20 Lodge incentive points (plus a lockout pass).
- Because you’re curious! Library Micro-Courses are a great way to learn more about the Library or about conducting library research.
- My instructor told me to! Your instructor thought that a Library Micro-Course would help you to be successful on a class assignment.
What to expect from a Library Micro-Course
- Each micro-course lists the estimated time to complete. Most are 15 minutes
- The content is mostly shared through video (with optional transcripts if you prefer to read)
- Each micro-course ends with a short, untimed, "open book" quiz. The quiz is required in order to get credit for attending the workshop
- The micro-courses are in Canvas, same as all of your other online classes
How to sign into the Library Micro-Courses
You only need to follow all of these steps the first time.
- Click on the Library Micro-Courses link
- Sign in with your COS email address and password (the same login that you use for other Canvas courses)
- You will see a message that says: You are enrolling in Library Micro-Courses. Click on the button that says "Enroll in Course"
- The next screen will tell you that you have successfully enrolled. Click on the "Go to the Course" button
- You are now on the Library Micro-Courses home page. Click on the name of the micro-course you wish to take
- Have fun!
The Library Micro-Courses will now appear on your Canvas dashboard alongside the square tiles for all your other classes. You can open it at any time to take another course. More courses are being developed so keep checking back!
Caution: Please do not drop the Library Micro-Courses (which will remove them from your Canvas dashboard) until after you have received your extra credit. Dropping the course erases all of your activity, which we need to see in order to let your instructor know you earned the extra credit.
List of Library Micro-Courses
||Estimated time to complete
|COS Library Basics
||Provides an overview of the many ways the Library can support you here at COS
|Getting Started with Library Research
||Covers how to get to the databases, when to use the catalog, and how to get research help
|EBSCO Article Database Basics (coming soon)
||Learn the basics of how EBSCO databases work (most of the COS article research databases are from EBSCO)
|EBSCO Hands-On Practice (coming soon)
||Take what you learned in EBSCO Article Database Basics for a guided EBSCO activity
|Keyword Searching Basics (coming later this Spring)
||Databases work best when you keyword search. This workshop teaches you how!
Contact the Library
College of the Siskiyous Library
800 College Avenue
Weed, CA 96094
Text/Phone: (530) 938-5331
Zoom: Drop-in Hours
Fax: (530) 938-5226