International Students

International Students

Welcome! International students can find out more about International Student Services on our campus by emailing the Student Services office. We will be happy to assist you with each step in becoming a student here on our campus.

We recommend that you begin the international application process at least 3 months before your intended arrival (no later than May for the fall semester or October for the spring semester). It takes time to process the I-20 (the document we issue) and obtain the F-1 student visa (issued by the US consulate in your home country). If you have an F-1 student visa at another U.S. college, you will need to contact the international offices at both schools so you can transfer. Here is the international student application which you can download, complete, and mail back to us. In order to view this application, you will need to have an Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer. Please see our Frequently Asked Questions, FAQ, for more specific information.

Our small number of international students and the diversity of the group, makes COS an unique opportunity for students to get personalized attention and work with students from around the world on a more personal basis than at a larger college.

COS is also unique in that we are one of few two year college that offer on-campus Lodges. Many students spend at least their first year in the residence halls, which offer meal plans and activities.

Our Counselors and Advisors will help you select classes according to your goals and ability levels. We make sure that your classes are in just the right order to help you transfer or to reach your goals. We assist students in selecting a major and deciding on educational goals as well. Some students earn their Associate Arts degree, with a vocational certificate or emphasis, and most transfer on to a four-year university.

Many students have questions about the way units from one college can be transferred to another. College of the Siskiyous has articulation agreements with many different colleges including; all of the California State Universities, the University of California system, Southern Oregon University, and Oregon Institute of Technology. If you have taken classes at a university out side of the United States and need to know if any of those units can transfer to College of the Siskiyous, you will need to have your transcripts evaluated by the International Education Research Foundation, Inc (IERF). Please contact IERF at 310-258-9451 or by email at to find out process and costs involved. Once you have these results, you would need to have them sent to College of the Siskiyous.

This means that all of the transferable courses which have been agreed upon will transfer and count as part of general education requirements, lower division major classes, and/or electives. Most students achieve two years' worth of instruction so that they are at the junior, or upper division, level when they transfer.

Many students come from an intensive English language school before they enter college. If you choose not to attend an English Language school, an original TOEFL score (470 paper-based, 150 computer-based, or 52 internet based) or an original IELTS score of 4.5 or an original STEP score (Eiken 2A Grade level or higher) are also accepted.

Students tell us that the best thing about COS is the friendly staff, excellent education, helpful labs (for writing, reading, math and computers) and beautiful location. COS is located in a rural, forested area at the base of Mt. Shasta. Our location provides students with the opportunity to go skiing, hiking, swimming, rafting and other outdoor activities year-round. You can also view a page that includes a map, distances from the college to other cites, and links to those cities.

The basic rules for international students studying at any USA college include that students must be able to support themselves financially while they are here. Working off-campus is not allowed, and on-campus positions are very limited. Thus, students wishing to study here must be able to demonstrate that they have the full funds to support their education here. That amount is currently estimated at $19,500 in US funds for one academic year.

So, please feel free to contact us with your particular questions. A two-year institution is an excellent place to begin your college education. We can help you plan a vocational career or assist you in transferring to a four-year university. The total costs for College of the Siskiyous are close to half what they would be for a four-year university, so completing the first two years with us is a very economical plan, too!

Most of all, we are very happy that you might consider College of the Siskiyous as a great place to begin your higher education! Our international student alumni regularly come back to visit their friends and instructors here. We look forward to hearing from you, answering your questions, and welcoming you to our special college in the far northern, beautiful mountains of California. Again, we have a detailed FAQ for your possible questions; feel free to visit that area to learn more about us.

If you are an International Alumnus of COS, get involved! Contact or join the Alumni Association

Please send comments or inquiries regarding this page to the Recruitment and Outreach Office.

for more information contact

Recruitment and Outreach Office
Phone: (530) 938-5847(530) 938-5847
Fax: (530) 938-5367
Email Us